Italy booked their space in the Ladies’s World Cup quarter-finals with a intention in every half of to beat China in Montpellier.
Forward Valentina Giacinti gave Italy an early lead when she became in the free ball from shut fluctuate after Peng Shimeng parried Elisa Bartoli’s effort.
China enjoyed a resurgence earlier than the interval but Italy sealed victory by arrangement of Aurora Galli after half of-time.
Galli, who modified Cristiana Girelli in the principle half of, stumbled on the bottom nook from originate air the train.
Italy will play the Netherlands or Japan in the final eight on Saturday in Valenciennes.
Le Azzurre dominated the early exchanges and Giacinti had a ninth-minute strike dominated out for offside earlier than giving her aspect a deserved lead alongside with her fifth intention in her past eight internationals.
Italy could perhaps have doubled their lead after the half of-hour heed when winger Valentina Bergamaschi became conducted in over the tip, but her fierce effort across intention became successfully saved by Shimeng.
That attach from a keeper nicknamed the ‘Wall of China’ perceived to spark her aspect into existence and they produced their first shot from at some stage in the Italy train in the 41st minute and a extra two earlier than the shatter.
Liu Shanshan additionally fired in a volley from originate air the train which became successfully saved by Laura Giuliani.
However Italy broke their resistance within 5 minutes of the restart as ahead Galli picked up the ball top-of-the-line share of 30 yards out and sent a appropriate-footed shot past Shimeng and into the bottom nook.
- Italy are the sixth team from Europe into the quarter-finals – a brand original epic for a single confederation at a Ladies’s World Cup. Totally three European facets made the final eight in 2015.
- Valentina Giacinti scored her seventh intention for Italy on her twenty ninth appearance. It became her first intention in four World Cup appearances.
- China have misplaced all seven World Cup knockout stage video games they’ve conceded first in – all of them to nil.
- All seven groups scoring first in the final 16 up to now have improved to the quarter-finals.
- Galli’s three targets as a replacement equals the epic for a single Ladies’s World Cup, blueprint by Australia’s Lisa de Vanna in 2007.