Week 3 of the 2019 preseason, or the Dress Rehearsal, obtained began Thursday evening with six matchups, collectively with one on an 80-yard field in Canada! That is what we realized from an keen, albeit injury-riddled evening of soccer:
Fresh York Giants 25, Cincinnati Bengals 23
1. The early life breeze in Cincinnati would not accurate lengthen to its new-faced coach. The Bengals’ younger talent region gamers had been the critical goal of their first home preseason game. Wideouts Damion Willis and Auden Tate began in preference to the injured A.J. Green and John Ross, and Rodney Anderson obtained an prolonged amount of race in lieu of Joe Mixon and Giovani Bernard. Willis was a accepted of all three of Cincy’s QBs, catching three balls on six targets for 55 yards and a procure. Anderson wasn’t worthy on the bottom however the shifty rookie caught four passes for 51 yards out of the backfield. Tate left with a knee injury. Perhaps the Bengals’ offensive depth is greater off than we idea.
2. There’s no longer worthy extra to be acknowledged about Large Blue’s QB fight. Eli Manning (4-for-8, 41 yards) was fascinating and first price in leading a 15-play FG pressure in his closing preseason originate. Daniel Jones was equally stellar, completing 9 of 11 passes for 141 yards, displaying none of the ball-handling woes that allege him assist final week. Composed, Fresh York is no longer handing the reins to the rookie to originate the season, no matter how effectively he plays. Plump discontinuance. At cornerback, even though… Sixth-spherical rookie Corey Ballentine began all over from used Janoris Jenkins and led the team with seven tackles and two passes defensed. With fellow rookie Deandre Baker and second-year corner Sam Beal allege assist by injuries this summer, might perchance Ballentine’s recent showings stable him a internet site on Fresh York’s Week 1 initiating lineup?
— Jeremy Bergman
Washington Redskins 19, Atlanta Falcons 7
3. The Redskins did not mess spherical on Thursday evening. Second-year assist Derrius Guice was assist and they gave him the ball on their first offensive play from scrimmage. Guice answered with a seven-yard race off left take care of and he regarded simply in his first breeze thereafter. Playing in handiest the second preseason game of his transient occupation, Guice saw his first race with the Redskins since an ACL hasten scrapped all of his rookie season. His first half of of labor saw 11 carries for 44 yards — a seriously gorgeous load given it was Guice’s return. Nonetheless he held up and confirmed off the promise that angry so many earlier than a rookie year that below no conditions came.
4. Tevin Coleman has left for San Francisco. Devonta Freeman has returned for the Falcons, however over the earlier few seasons, when healthy, Freeman and Coleman possess provided a game-breaking combination for the Falcons out of the backfield. By all accounts, second-season assist Ito Smith is interesting to get rid of over for Coleman. On Thursday, he was arguably the most spectacular offensive performer for the Falcons, nabbing 23 yards on five carries on the side of a 9-yard take in a first half of’s price of playing time. Smith’s evening integrated a five-yard first-half of touchdown race. On accurate about every a hit NFL team, you needn’t one however two simply working backs and the Falcons had that the final four years with Coleman and Freeman. They must possess that but again in 2019 with Smith and Freeman.
— Grant Gordon
Fresh England Patriots 10, Carolina Panthers 3
5. Tom Brady took the sphere on Thursday and he regarded accurate stunning. Perhaps extra than the relaxation thinking about Cam Newton’s foot injury and subsequent removal from the game, Brady emerged unscathed. He obtained in for just a few collection and obtained out and regarded simply doing it, completing 8-of-12 passes for 75 yards. Brady’s backup continued an very good preseason, too. Stidham, who’s thrown for 506 yards, two touchdowns and no picks in three games, completed 15-of-19 passes for 134 yards earlier than kneeling out the Pats’ 10-3 victory.
6. Whereas Newton’s return and departure had been on the forefront for Carolina on Thursday, first-spherical lift Brian Burns continued to dominate the preseason with his most up-to-date and most spectacular performance. Blazing to his third and fourth sacks of the preseason, Burns had five tackles, two sacks, one take care of for loss and compelled a fumble and two QB hits on the day. The 16th lift of the draft is constructing pleasure in Carolina and continued to form so on a day by which the face of the franchise drew motive for allege. No matter how issues play out with Newton, Christian McCaffrey and the Panthers offense, the Carolina protection is trending upward and Burns is leading the style.
— Grant Gordon
Baltimore Ravens 26, Philadelphia Eagles 15
7. No initiating quarterbacks for either club in this one. Nonetheless that did not mean this exhibition was void of fireworks below heart. Backing up Lamar Jackson, who was kept out on the side of diversified offensive starters for what coach John Harbaugh called a bunch of causes, was Sign McSorley, the rookie out of Penn Mutter who was working as a punt returner accurate two months ago. The minute McSorely was electric, connecting on 16 of his 24 passes for 203 yards and two TDs in the first half of. The two ratings had been pinpoint ideal balls to Michael Floyd and Jaleel Scott, respectively. Three of McSorely’s attempts went to fellow first-year Marquise Brown, who saw his first breeze of the preseason since getting back from foot surgical treatment. Hollywood’s three catches went for 17 yards and the WR saw a a hit two-level conversion called assist by penalty, however Baltimore ought to aloof be tickled that its first-spherical prospect in the shatter obtained some productive race with a are residing wire at QB.
8. Carson Wentz will trudge into the habitual season with out having performed a single preseason snap. Or no longer it is doubtlessly most effective that he did not play Thursday evening alongside the relaxation of Philly’s starters, for security’s sake. Finally, the Eagles’ backup QB disaster basic tending to. Cody Kessler returned from final week’s concussion with a dazzling two drives earlier than giving solution to recent retiree and unretiree Josh McCown. The 40-year-ragged QB impressed in a shut to-fat game’s price of breeze, hitting on 17 of his 24 passes for 192 yards and two ratings and displaying slight worry escaping the pocket. Or no longer it is bask in he below no conditions left.
— Jeremy Bergman
Oakland Raiders 22, Green Bay Packers 21
9. Any American soccer game — in the united states — shall be considered as 100 yards to glory. Thursday evening’s tilt in Canada, might perchance very worthy be considered as 80 yards to survival. After having to get rid of out goal posts which shall be positioned throughout the discontinuance zone for Canadian Football League games on the Winnipeg Blue Bombers’ IG Field, the preseason contest was performed on an 80-yard field due to the safety concerns. The Packers’ worry was considered in the do of announcing 33 gamers who would sit down earlier than the game.
First-spherical draft lift Rashan Gary was no longer a diffusion of to sit down down down out and he limped off the sphere on his comprise energy after suffering an apparent injury, however was then carted off to the locker room. Gary was attended to twice in the game and was seemingly aloof in at some level of the second quarter as he’s struggled to this level to acclimate himself to the Packers’ protection. Over the team’s first two games, Gary had no tackles. On Thursday, he obtained his first. No longer long after, his evening all accurate now ended. His agency later tweeted out that Gary was “stunning and doing effectively.”
10. Starters had been exhausting to earn Thursday after the Raiders and Packers made the perambulate to the Immense White North and stumbled on an irregular 80-yard field. However, quarterbacks Nathan Peterman and Mike Glennon continued their fight for the backup internet site in the assist of Derek Carr. Peterman regarded greater in Week 1, Glennon regarded simply in Week 2 and Week 3 belonged to Peterman. Glennon struggled and hit on accurate 4-of-9 passes for 38 yards and a unsuitable 56.7 passer score, whereas Peterman kept swinging and attach collectively a evening by which he went 23-of-37 for 210 yards, two touchdown passes and an 95.6 passer score. No lower than in Canada, Peterman was the greater No. 2 for the Raiders.
— Grant Gordon
Miami Dolphins 22, Jacksonville Jaguars 7
11. Is Ryan Fitzpatrick assured the initiating job in Miami? No longer if Josh Rosen has the relaxation to converse about that. After the journeyman used led eight Dolphins drives, collectively with one TD march in the second half of, Rosen was in the shatter let into the game with 4:56 to trudge in the third quarter. Sitting at his comprise one-yard line, the second-year QB led Miami 99 yards in 13 plays for its second TD of the evening. Rosen displayed the most tasty pocket presence, mobility and patience we possess considered from him this preseason on the pressure, even though it came against Jacksonville backups. Rosen did not form worthy on his next two drives and completed 5-of-7 for 59 yards. Maybe no longer ample to originate against the Ravens in Week 1, however ample to attach stress on Fitzpatrick per week thereafter.
12. Jacksonville blessed us with a first survey at its initiating lineup after two preseason contests of Gardner Minshew and the bask in, and it was a welcome first impact. In his first game breeze, Prick Foles tangled up with seemingly initiating WR Dede Westbrook four cases on four drives collectively with a 10-yard TD trudge on a play-breeze out route. Playing alongside Sacksonville’s deep initiating defensive lineup, rookie edge rusher Josh Allen shined, logging two TFLs and two QB hits. Unfortunately, the Jags did not high-tail Thursday evening unscathed: Doable breakout receiver D.J. Chark exited with a concussion.
— Jeremy Bergman