Right here’s what we realized from Sunday’s Week 14 games:
Kansas City Chiefs 23, Fresh England Patriots 16
1. All hail the AFC West champs. Kansas City nook Bashaud Breeland bopped the ball away from Julian Edelman within the tip zone on fourth down with proper over one minute closing to thwart a Patriots gradual comeback impart, ending Fresh England’s 21-game home earn shut high-tail and clinching the AFC West division title. The Chiefs frail a 23-point unanswered streak within the center of the competition to give Andy Reid’s group satisfactory cushion to withstand the Pats comeback. In opposition to a moral Pats defense that finished somewhat a few Quilt-2 to withhold the deep photos under wraps and smothered the Chiefs within the second half, Patrick Mahomes modified into compelled into a bevy of quick throws. Mahomes one gargantuan shot, a forty eight-yard TD to Mecole Hardman, made Fresh England pay early after the Chiefs blocked a field unbiased. Originate air of the second quarter, then all over again, it modified into a struggle for K.C.’s offense in opposition to Invoice Belichick’s defense. The Chiefs final four possessions earlier than the tip-of-game kneels went 3-and-out blocked punt, fumble, 3-and-out, 3-and-out. Mahomes (283 yards, TD, INT), then all over again, did satisfactory be troubled early, and the Chiefs defense clung to the lead down the stretch. Mahomes told journalists after the game that he finished thru an be troubled to his graceful hand and can merely endure X-rays. Reid’s offense hasn’t been represent-supreme the past few weeks, nonetheless the defense — preserving Tom Brady to 169 passing yards, one rating, one INT, and three sacks — has finished splendidly. Sunday, they pestered the QB regularly and clawed out the earn shut gradual. It is the form of victory the Chiefs could seemingly well also need to lean on come January.
2. The Patriots defense and particular group made performs to glean wait on within the game, nonetheless as soon as extra the offense, marred by inconsistency on the receiver disclose and a leaky offensive line, came up quick. Fresh England’s supreme two performs over 20 yards the general tilt came on trickeration performs: a 37-yard TD on a flea-flicker to Julian Edelman on the gap force, and a 37-yard halfback pass from James White to Jakobi Meyers that went 35 yards to reveal up the tip-of-game theatrics. Originate air of these two performs, it modified into a slog for Brady & Co. After the gap force, the Pats went seven possessions barely threatening, picking up proper six first downs. A blocked punt by Fresh England’s particular groups, gave them existence, with a landing two performs later, nonetheless lulls — in conjunction with a 17-0 second quarter — proved too mighty to overcome as soon as extra.
3. Fresh England modified into burned twice by officiating calls that rate two likely touchdowns gradual. The first came on a transient whistle on a Travis Kelce fumble. Refs blew the play ineffective ruling the Chiefs TE down by contact. The play modified into overturned, then all over again it negated a return thru which it seemed Stephon Gilmore had a free streak to the tip zone. On the following force, Patriots receiver N’Keal Harry seemed to attain out for a landing nonetheless modified into ruled out of bounds. Replays showed the wideout’s foot in bounds, nonetheless and not using a challenges left, Belichick could seemingly well no longer contest the name. Fresh England would cease up settling for a field unbiased, which modified the tenor of the tip of the competition. The Chiefs gargantuan boulevard earn shut pushed them to 9-4 and clinched the AFC West title for the fourth straight season. It additionally moved them inner a game of passing Fresh England for a likely first-round bye. The loss sent the Pats to 10-3 on the season, and in actuality two games on the wait on of the Ravens for the cease disclose within the AFC. For next week, or no longer it’s “On to Cincinnati” for Belichick’s group that need to glean wait on heading within the correct path after wait on-to-wait on losses.
— Kevin Patra
San Francisco 49ers forty eight, Fresh Orleans Saints 46
1. A matchup between two 10-2 NFC heavyweights lived as a lot as the billing with huge blows struck by either side and fireworks exploding at every turn. With each offenses marching apparently at will, it modified into apropos that the group with the ball last would pull out the victory. After Drew Brees as soon as extra led a stunning stride-ahead landing force within the last minutes to give the Saints a 46-Forty five lead with fifty three seconds closing, it modified into Jimmy Garoppolo’s turn to acknowledge. In a tilt plagued by gargantuan performs, the game fittingly hinged on a monster capture-and-run from George Kittle that went for 39 yards, plus a 15-yard facemask, on 4th-and-2, thru which the tight cease carried defenders down the field. The play disclose up Robbie Gould’s game-successful 30-yard field unbiased. The 49ers splashed gargantuan performs all game, with Garoppolo divebombing the Saints defense for 349 yards and four touchdowns, with one interception. After occurring 20-7 to open the second quarter, the Niners offense answered the name with three straight TD drives to take the halftime lead. Emmanuel Sanders (7/157/1, and a TD pass) and Deebo Samuel (5/76) got open all game versus Fresh Orleans’ DBs, as the Niners piled up 517 yards, and a whopping 9.1 yards per play (14.5 YPP at halftime). On a day its defense didn’t play as a lot as its lofty standards, Garoppolo showed he can earn shut a huge boulevard shootout. Once extra, the 2019 San Francisco 49ers proved they are able to earn shut in every manner that it’s likely you’ll seemingly well seemingly also imagine.
2. Brees finished a sterling game, losing four-straight landing drives to open the game with some stunning throws, in conjunction with a 26-yard landing to Jared Cook dinner (the TE would stride away the game with a concussion after his second TD). With Alvin Kamara stymied on the bottom, Brees diced up the NFL’s No. 1 pass defense with a bevy of strikes, hitting hastily passes and a few elegant downfield throws, in conjunction with a dime to Michael Thomas (11/134/1) gradual that helped consequence in a TD to pull inner one rating after the Saints got down nine factors. Brees matched Garoppolo’s 349 yards and threw five TD passes, in conjunction with a rushing rating on a fourth-down sneak from the unbiased-line early. On a day thru which the offense, which has been touch-and-stride mighty of the season, finished well in opposition to one of the NFL’s top Ds, it modified into the beforehand stalwart defense, then all over again, that can seemingly well no longer glean a cease when wanted.
3. In a game with 10 TD passes and 12 total touchdowns, the explosive, intense, thrilling match could seemingly well foreshadow what we’re in for in January. Sunday’s consequence can have an mighty impact on the playoff seeding within the NFC. Titillating to 11-2, the 49ers could seemingly well leap wait on into the cease slot within the NFC West if the Seahawks lose Sunday evening in L.A. If Seattle comes out on top, the 49ers would remain within the No. 5 disclose, which is a brutal proposition for one of the productive groups within the league. The loss pushes Fresh Orleans (10-3) to Third within the conference, on the wait on of the NFC West leader and the Inexperienced Bay Packers, and out of a playoff bye heading into Week 15. With the NFC South division already wrapped up, Fresh Orleans serene has plenty to play for within the last three weeks of the season.
— Kevin Patra
Baltimore Ravens 24, Buffalo Bills 17
1. The Ravens are navigating the enamel of their time table with aplomb and now have a playoff berth to expose for it. Baltimore (11-2) now has beaten the Patriots, Texans, Rams, Niners and Bills since its bye week and has won nine games in a row. The Ravens have proven they are able to navigate proper about any model of game and can be found in out victorious. Whereas in November it modified into their excessive-octane offense carrying the model, the Ravens have grinded their manner thru defensive slugfests in wait on-to-wait on December wins. On Sunday, they held the Bills to 209 yards on 68 performs, sacking Josh Allen six times and limiting Buffalo to 4 of 17 on third down. Allen’s deep ball modified into non-existent in opposition to the Ravens’ stingy secondary, whereas Lamar Jackson grew to alter into in an surroundings pleasant day out in opposition to Buffalo’s third-ranked pass defense (16-of-25, 145 yards, three TDs).
2. The Bills can take solace within the incontrovertible truth that they were using to tie the game gradual, nonetheless their offense might want to form better within the occasion that they need to design a streak in January. Buffalo had five three-and-outs Sunday and supreme saw one force last longer than seven performs. With the Ravens doing a moral job of limiting John Brown (three catches on eight targets for 26 yards), Allen struggled to retain drives and capitalize on the few times they threatened. Buffalo kicked three field dreams unless Cole Beasley’s landing midway thru the fourth quarter. As moral as Buffalo’s defense is, field dreams will no longer consequence in wins come playoff time.
3. Buffalo (9-4) did an admirable job of bottling up the Ravens’ gargantuan-play offense for a huge selection of of the afternoon, nonetheless shutting Baltimore down for a tubby 60 minutes is simply too mighty a job for even the most productive defense. On the third play of the second half, Jackson hit tight cease Hayden Hurst over the center off play action. Hurst grew to alter into it up field with nothing nonetheless open place of residing in front of him and sprinted to the tip zone for a 61-yard rating. Hurst is now the fifth Raven to have a capture of at least 50 yards this season.
— David Ely
Denver Broncos 38, Houston Texans 24
1. The Broncos (5-8) are formally The Team of workers You Don’t Are attempting to Face in December. Drew Lock made a handful of spectacular throws under stress early and Broncos offensive coordinator Affluent Scangarello many times schemed open receivers in a pass-first manner for the Broncos that resulted in 31 factors in Denver’s first five possessions and a 38-3 lead early within the third quarter. Noah Fant rumbled for 113 yards on supreme four catches earlier than struggling a foot be troubled, with quite a bit of the second half amounting to an prolonged version of Lock’s Lock Toy Legend celebration. The next three weeks for Denver are all about Lock auditioning to withhold this job for 2020.
2. Kareem Jackson makes his money in this matchup. He finished so well in opposition to Denver last year — one of the productive single game by a defensive wait on all year — that the Broncos awarded him a gargantuan contract in free agency. He made a a similar impact Sunday, ending with a lengthy landing after being handed the ball by teammate Jeremiah Attaochu, picking off Deshaun Watson and ending multiple other drives with three passes defensed and a tackle for loss. The Texans’ overmatched secondary could seemingly well desperately employ him.
3. It is complex to take the 8-5 Texans seriously as a Tall Bowl contender with performances love this. The offense isn’t any longer the identical when Will Fuller is out and the defense has no juice when coordinator Romeo Crennel can’t way up stress. Any likelihood for a bye ended Sunday and the Texans now need to anxiousness about the Titans stealing the AFC South.
— Gregg Rosenthal
Fresh York Jets 22, Miami Dolphins 21
1. There modified into no Le’Veon Bell and there modified into no Jamal Adams, nonetheless there modified into satisfactory within the leg of Sam Ficken to deem the Jets to a 22-21 victory over the Dolphins as he booted a 44-yard field unbiased — his third of the day and the tenth field unbiased between the groups — and not using a time left. As the happy Jets (5-8) temporarily lifted Ficken within the air, Fresh York had edged past Miami (3-10) to avenge an earlier defeat and give Gang Inexperienced coach Adam Gase a victory over his worn group. Sam Darnold (20-for-36 for 270 yards and two touchdowns) led the game-successful force, which began on the Jets’ 25 with 1:29 to stride. It modified into a booth evaluate that loomed supreme on the force, then all over again, as a Darnold offering to Vyncint Smith modified into first and most critical ruled incomplete. Upon further evaluate, the name modified into overturned and reversed to defensive pass interference. From a fourth-and-17 to a most critical-and-10 the Jets went and then onward to victory by the foot of Ficken. In a season thru which every thing from accidents to the absurd have apparently plagued the Jets, they got a deserved name that went their manner, Darnold led a game-successful force and Ficken, who omitted his first kick (a failed PAT within the second quarter), modified into the hero.
2. A week prior, Jason Sanders caught a landing pass for this rag-rate pod of Dolphins. This time round, he flexed the could seemingly well also of his leg time and time all over again to the tune of seven field dreams in eight makes an strive, in conjunction with a fifty three-yarder. Of the Dolphins 21 factors, all were had by Sanders. Highlight because it will perchance seemingly well also well have been for the booter, it modified into rarely so for the Dolphins. In opposition to the No. 1 rushing defense, Miami mustered a season-excessive 122 rushing yards, led by group-excessive rusher Ryan Fitzpatrick’s 65 yards. Nonetheless discovering the tip zone proved problematic proper as or no longer it’s been all season for the Fins.
3. At one point within the season, it regarded as if Robby Anderson modified into a borderline sure bet to be shipped out of Fresh York. Nonetheless he’s serene in Gotham and on this Sunday he showed as soon as extra how dynamic he’s going to even be. Anderson tallied game-highs of seven catches and 116 yards receiving, keyed by a 26-yard rating within the second stanza thru which he worked himself wide open to garner a Sam Darnold floater. Anderson has rarely been at his simplest on a consistent basis, nonetheless Sunday showed that when he’s, he’s serene elegant darn moral.
— Grant Gordon
Inexperienced Bay Packers 20, Washington Redskins 15
1. Matt LaFleur is the principle coach within the storied Inexperienced Bay historical past to carry shut at least 10 games in his first season with the Packers. Eager by the offensive ineptitude of the opponent, the victory could seemingly well also merely serene have been extra convincing in nature. The Packers jumped out to an early lead supreme to backslide into that acquainted zone thru which they don’t creep the ball for quarters at a time whereas we’re left to shock if the receivers merely are no longer getting open or if Aaron Rodgers is stubbornly clinging to the belief of a better play than the defense will allow. Regardless of who’s calling the performs at Lambeau Self-discipline, the parable stays the identical: a minute little bit of column A, a minute little bit of column B. That talking point could seemingly well even have been shelved had Rodgers no longer thrown on the wait on of rookie Jace Sternberger on a likely landing and proper omitted gargantuan third-down connections with Jimmy Graham and Aaron Jones. Fortunately for LaFleur and Rodgers, play-making tailback Jones persevered to construct on his breakout season, accounting for 56.3% of Inexperienced Bay’s total yards (192 on 22 touches). With the (9-4) Vikings beating the Lions on Sunday, the (10-3) Packers withhold a one-game lead within the NFC North heading into next week’s matchup versus the surging Bears.
2. If Redskins followers squinted proper graceful, they would seemingly well ultimately envision an entertaining offensive nucleus in last week’s stirring victory over the Panthers. Terry McLaurin has been the most spectacular rookie receiver within the league, vitality wait on Derrius Guice exploded for 137 yards and a pair of rankings and quarterback Dwayne Haskins’ arm talent modified into evident. On a day when their group modified into formally eradicated from postseason contention, these Washington followers could seemingly well also need to ditch the squint in desire of a magnifying glass. McLaurin persevered to rate with a spectacular one-handed landing capture, nonetheless Guice exited with yet one other knee be troubled and Haskins limped thru the most up-to-date in a string of disappointing pocket performances.
3. Haskins has a most critical sack impart. It hasn’t been a straightforward transition to Invoice Callahan’s extinct-college, I-formation offense when he’s extra chuffed running a style assault, nonetheless the rookie merely has to glean rid of the ball with extra urgency and sense of reason. Haskins owns a debilitating sack rate of 14.0 p.c on 186 dropbacks when put next with outmoded Case Keenum’s 6.0 rate on 200 dropbacks on the wait on of the identical offensive line. For standpoint, Texans QB Deshaun Watson recorded a sack rate of 10.9 p.c when he took the fifth-most sacks (62) in a single season last year. This would be an place of residing of focus for the following Redskins coach in 2020.
Cleveland Browns 27, Cincinnati Bengals 19
1. If you polled the typical Browns fan on their supreme complaints about their group this season, or no longer it’s seemingly it’s likely you’ll seemingly well hear about their factors with streak-pass distribution. In opposition to the league’s worst rushing defense, it modified into as if Freddie Kitchens and his workers didn’t know who they were facing. Nonetheless then, the Browns opened the second half with a six-play, 75-yard force that incorporated proper one pass strive. Chop Chubb racked up 57 of these yards with one streak, and Kareem Hunt finished it off with a landing all the way thru the left cease to push Cleveland’s consequence in 21-13.
Right here’s the Browns’ supreme offensive energy, and illustrates proper how well-known this is in a position to seemingly well also be for the group to actual the companies and products of Hunt lengthy-timeframe after this marketing and marketing campaign ends. A one-two punch of Chubb and Hunt will motive complications for every group within the NFL, supplied Cleveland can block well satisfactory up front.
2. Cincinnati’s first victory of 2019 positively supplied its gamers with a deem within the week that followed, nonetheless within the most critical moments, it serene didn’t play successful football. After an officiating reward gave the Bengals an interception by Chop Vigil, Andy Dalton’s pass deflected off his supposed target’s fingers and modified into intercepted and returned for a landing by Browns nook Denzel Ward. With the Bengals down proper eight within the second half, a lengthy Joe Mixon streak modified into wiped out by a preserving name on John Ross. And ultimately, what would have been a huge third-down cease modified into overturned when William Jackson modified into flagged for pass interference upon evaluate.
Right here’s the incompatibility between successful and shedding groups. The Bengals competed nonetheless didn’t fabricate the minute things correctly, and that modified into how they left Cleveland with their 12th loss of 2019.
3. Credit is because of the Dalton, whose play dominated the halftime dialogue on CBS and rightfully so. Dalton and the Bengals don’t appear to be lengthy for every other, nonetheless he’ll design a QB-needy group chuffed in other locations. He finished 22 of 38 passes for 262 yards and an interception, and sure, he had a few misses, nonetheless the Bengals are very a lot better with him under center.
Cincinnati battled for the general game with a bunch in Cleveland that has dissatisfied nonetheless additionally competed with a healthy quantity of playoff-scamper squads. The Bengals are no longer as corrupt as 1-12 says, at least no longer currently, which could seemingly well also merely serene be encouraging for the Taylor technology going ahead — despite the incontrovertible truth that it doesn’t embody Dalton.
— Chop Shook
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 38, Indianapolis Colts 35
1. All aboard the Jameis Winston roller coaster shuffle. For your whole action-adventure movies that every Winston day out seems, Sunday’s modified into one to take into accout. Winston threw the principle of his three interceptions on his first pass, sustained a tiny atomize in his hand that saw him omit a series earlier than coming wait on and ended all of it with a occupation-excessive 456 yards and four touchdowns, in conjunction with the game-successful 12-yard rating to Breshad Perriman as the Buccaneers bested the reeling Colts, 38-35. Perfect love that, the Buccaneers (6-7) have won three in a row and Winston is as befuddling as ever. He tossed his second 400-yard game of the season (his ninth game of 300-plus) and had five total touchdowns (one rushing). And he now leads the NFL with 28 giveaways after his league-leading seventh game with multiple interceptions. The Bucs won and Winston showed his fortitude and his phenomenal talent. He additionally showcased every match-inducing reason he need to no longer be the group’s franchise signal-caller. As Winston’s graceful-hand be troubled stays in inquire of, so too does his place of residing leading the Bucs. Certain, even after a five-landing victory.
2. As Mike Evans raced to a 61-yard landing, he finished the rating with a limp, at last coming to leisure within the tip zone, grabbing his graceful hamstring as trainers attended to him. He modified into misplaced for the game. Alternatively, Evans’ loss for the game additionally lent itself to showcasing how talented the cut of targets is for Jameis Winston to throw to (and for a minimal of 1 force backup Ryan Griffin, who made his NFL debut). Chris Godwin persevered his vivid season with seven catches for 91 yards, O.J. Howard gave one other peek of his likely with four grabs for 73 yards and Breshad Perriman hauled in three balls for 70 yards and the aforementioned game-successful rating, which came with 4:22 to stride within the game. In all, nine Buccaneers caught passes on Sunday, six had four or extra receptions and four had touchdowns. The weapons are there for Tampa Bay, it proper needs the consistency.
3. It is no longer going Jameis Winston is planning to send a Christmas card to Darius Leonard and there is a moral likelihood that if he sends any others, Leonard could seemingly well also come away with one. Or two. Leonard, apart from to nine tackles, had two interceptions, in conjunction with an 80-yard return to the dwelling. Since getting back from a concussion, Leonard has proved to be amongst the most productive of the most productive on the linebacker disclose and grew to alter into the principle participant since at least 1982 to list 10-plus sacks and five-plus interceptions in his first 25 occupation games, per NFL compare. Alas, on a sleepy Sunday in northern Florida, the Colts (6-7) wanted to wake as a lot as withhold a glimmer of hope to keep their season. Instead, Indy misplaced its third in a row and fifth of the last sixth. Depleted by accidents and losers of six games by one possession, the Colts playing meaningful games in 2019 is all nonetheless mathematically done.
— Grant Gordon
Atlanta Falcons 40, Carolina Panthers 20
1. Relationship wait on to Week 8, the Falcons defense has been playing some elegant solid football. Their simplest performance in that span came on the boulevard in opposition to the Panthers in Week 10 when they steer clear off a TD, held Christian McCaffrey to 70 streak yards and registered four picks and five sacks on Kyle Allen. In Week 14, Atlanta tried their simplest to outdo their performance from a few weeks ago, and they came very shut to doing so. Place for a pair of TD drives — one within the principle half, the other in garbage time — and FGs that came a quarter and a half a component, the Falcons defense rarely ever slipped up. Linebacker Takkarist McKinley recorded a season-excessive two sacks whereas fellow LB Vic Beasley insecure Allen on two strip-sacks; one modified into recovered by Atlanta and at last resulted in a TD. Safety Damontae Kazee additionally came walked into one of his simplest outings of 2019, snagging a rob off a bobbled capture by Panthers TE Ian Thomas, and then in conjunction with one other on a poorly thrown deep ball. As an whole, Atlanta additionally added six passes defensed, and shrimp McCaffrey to fifty three streak yards. Winning division games continuously carry the added ingredient of bragging rights and, for Atlanta to each sweep the season series and formally glean rid of Carolina from playoff contention on the identical time, made this particular person that mighty sweeter.
2. The first game of the post-Ron Rivera technology didn’t stride to well for intervening time coach Perry Fewell and the Panthers. Allen (28/41, 293 yards, TD, 2 INTs) persevered to be afflected with a corrupt case of the “fumbles”, coughing up two and shedding one. This modified into his fourth multi-fumble game of the season. The aforementioned McCaffrey (11/fifty three on the bottom; 11/82 within the air) modified into held scoreless for a second straight week, a clear indicator of how the Panthers offense operated as a unit. Carolina converted proper three of their 10 third-down makes an strive modified into outgained by 116 yards — 345 to Atlanta’s 461 — no topic getting one extra offensive play. A lone offensive luminous disclose came by receiver DJ Moore (4/81) who grew to alter into the principle Panthers wideout since 2014 (Kelvin Benjamin) to list over 1,000 receiving yards in a season. On the defensive side, corners James Bradberry and Donte Jackson notably had a rough day, surrendering rankings and getting beat in coverage on a few critical performs. The line of defense additionally got gashed multiple times by RBs Devonta Freeman (17/84/1) and Brian Hill (9/62/1). As if things weren’t corrupt satisfactory, particular groups poured salt on the accidents created by the other two phases with a gargantuan-time gaffe within the third following a Falcons TD. Kazee punched the ball out of the fingers of return man Greg Dortch on the kickoff return, opening the door for K Younghoe Koo to recover the free ball and build Atlanta on the CAR 16. The Falcons would rating a FG four performs later. With the playoffs out of the inquire of, the questions surrounding the group’s future will proceed to glean louder.
3. Atlanta’s offense hasn’t exactly lit up the NFL this season nonetheless that hasn’t stopped Matt Ryan and Julio Jones from showing the enviornment how particular they’re. Ryan (20/34, 313 yards, 2 TDs) grew to alter into the tenth QB in NFL historical past to surpass 50,000 occupation yards within the victory whereas Jones (5/66) solidified his sixth-straight 1,000-yard season. The second of Ryan’s rating came on an improbable 93-yard pass to rookie wideout Olamide Zaccheaus (first of his occupation). This play modified into no longer supreme the longest of Ryan’s occupation then all over again it additionally happens to be the third-longest pass in franchise historical past, per Kelsey Conway of Falcons.com. Ryan’s milestone day modified into made extra spectacular by the incontrovertible truth that he allotted the wealth about apart from he has all year, discovering seven somewhat a few targets for receptions.
— Jelani Scott
Minnesota Vikings 20, Detroit Lions 7
1. Short leisure? No impart. The Vikings bounced wait on after their devastating Monday Night Soccer loss, blowing out the lowly Lions at home. It modified into an affair that had the Vikings’ mascot, Viktor, whipping off his mustache in celebration. The Vikings struck first on a Kirk Cousins nine-yard pass to 2019 seventh-round rob Bisi Johnson. Cousins, serene with out Adam Thielen because of the a hamstring be troubled, linked with Stefon Diggs on six receptions for 92 yards and a committee of fellow pass catchers of their balanced offensive assault. Dalvin Cook dinner, who exited last week’s contest early because of the be troubled, rushed for 62 yards on 18 carries. Playing a Lions defense that allowed opponents 26.3 factors per game, it’s elegant the Vikings’ offense modified into stifled several times ultimately of the game — in conjunction with when the Vikings settled for a field unbiased in second quarter after pushing all of the model down to the Lions’ four-yard line. Nonetheless this is the Vikings’ myth this season.
2. Rookie quarterback David Blough got the start all over again for the Lions. Facing a stingy Vikings defense, Blough’s day out modified into an uphill struggle from the start. The signal-caller had extra sacks than completions within the principle quarter. Blough finished the lean 24-of-40 passing for 205 yards with one landing and two interceptions. The Lions’ lone TD came with 2:09 closing within the game on 10-yard pass to Kenny Golladay, averting the shutout. To Blough’s credit, he did march the offense down the field as soon as extra nonetheless modified into picked off by Vikings safety Andrew Sendejo within the tip zone. Blough did withhold poise no topic being sacked 5 times and playing from on the wait on of the general game, which is well spectacular brooding about he modified into thrown into the combine proper last week. Running wait on Bo Scarbrough continues to be an asset for the struggling Lions offense. The Alabama product, who signed with the club last month, toted the ball 19 times for 65 yards. After one other spectacular day out for Scarbrough or no longer it’s safe to deliver he’ll draw consideration for RB-needy golf equipment this offseason.
3. It modified into a sack birthday party in Minneapolis Sunday as the Vikings’ defense took down Blough five times. To boot as to sweeping the series, Vikings defensive cease Danielle Hunter made historical past by changing into the youngest participant in NFL historical past to attain 50.0 occupation sacks — a list beforehand held by Robert Quinn. The 25-year-extinct accounted for 3 of the five sacks on the day. Everson Griffen and Jaleel Johnson each jumped in on the action too, taking relieve of a porous Lions’ offensive line and inexperience signal-caller.
— Andie Hagemann
Los Angeles Chargers Forty five, Jacksonville Jaguars 10
1. Philip Rivers well-liked his thirty eighth birthday by mercilessly carving up Jacksonville’s floating-away defense. One week after rumors swirled of his benching, the Chargers ironman unfurled a flurry of aggressive ropes that resulted in 314 yards, three rankings and his finest game of the year earlier than Tyrod Taylor took over with miles to stride. This modified into the Rivers and treasure, discovering Keenan Allen and Hunter Henry for laser-beam touchdowns and pumping his fists after hitting Austin Ekeler for an 84-yard rating, the longest of Rivers’ marvelous occupation. Questions about his future can wait one other week.
2. We glean it, Jaguars: You fabricate no longer love stopping the streak. After being fried on the bottom by the Texans (216 yards), Colts (264) and Titans (219), Jacksonville morphed all over again into a huge-open barn door. Ekeler ran with holy hearth, blasting away with volts of 35, 27 and 23 yards in a game that saw Los Angeles bully Jacksonville. The consistently scrumptious Ekeler piled up a wild 213 total yards off proper 12 touches.
3. I’m partial to Gardner Minshew’s mobility and early season brave-fabricate, nonetheless the magic act never materialized on Sunday. Throwing for proper 69 yards within the principle half and 162 on the day, Minshew — love Chop Foles earlier than him — is stuck inner a broken assault that can’t reliably defend him or retain marches with the streak. It is graceful to shock if we could seemingly well also glean one other survey on the uber-pricey Chop Foles.
— Marc Sessler
Pittsburgh Steelers 23, Arizona Cardinals 17
1. Man, oh, man, the Steelers’ surging defense introduced the warmth in this one. As one of the upper defensive groups within the league, Pittsburgh largely rendered Arizona ineffective, limiting them to 265 total yards and forcing either a punt or turnover on six of the Playing cards’ nine series. Kyler Murray displayed his hastily ft, as he’s carried out in most cases ultimately of his rookie marketing and marketing campaign, nonetheless within the tip, it modified into the Steelers’ D who stepped up in what injure up being a shut contest. On the last force of the game, the Steelers notched two sacks — giving them five on the day — and a game-sealing rob by Joe Haden (four tackles, two PDs, two INTs) to actual the six-point earn shut. Linebacker TJ Watt utilized the stress on the last Murray pass strive, in conjunction with a QB hit to associate with his PD and a audacious unbiased-line INT gradual within the fourth. At 8-5 with wait on watch over of a wild card disclose (for now), the Steelers are having a survey love the group to withhold away from within the postseason.
2. Kyler Murray (20/30, 194 yards, 2 TDs, 3 INTs) did all he could seemingly well nonetheless the rookie QB fell quick at home. He demonstrated moral chemistry with wideout Christian Kirk (8/85) and running wait on David Johnson on a 24-yard TD strike gradual within the game nonetheless open air of that the Playing cards offense modified into stagnant. Johnson finished with 19 yards on three carries, and two catches for 34 yards; fellow RB Kenyan Drake added proper 37 yards on 11 carries. A bitter cease to a dwelling game that regarded and sounded extra love a Steelers home stand for the majority.
3. The shock impact of quarterback Devlin Hodges (16/19, 152 yards, TD) will be extra principal nonetheless the game ball goes to Diontae Johnson. The rookie receiver modified into sensational, returning an 85-yard punt return to the dwelling within the principle quarter and ending the day with a receiving TD and a bunch-excessive 60 yards. Kudos to Duck, who persevered his solid play and is now 4-1 as a starter, nonetheless Johnson stole the expose in this boulevard earn shut.
— Jelani Scott
Tennessee Titans 42, Oakland Raiders 21
1. It started almost a month ago, nonetheless Sunday modified into shaping as a lot as be one other prime instance of the most supreme time of the year: Derrick Henry Season. Henry stormed out of the gate within the principle half, rushing 12 times for 55 yards and a landing as the 2 groups engaged in a shootout, nonetheless he modified into hampered within the second half by an obvious hamstring discipline. Henry finished with 103 yards and two touchdowns on proper 18 carries, helping the Titans salt away a game which they ran away with within the last quarter. He did so by objecting to coaches’ desires to withhold him sidelined because of the the hamstring, forcing his manner onto the field to withhold Tennessee’s rushing assault and strapping a heating pad to his hamstring and pacing the sideline to prevent stiffness between possessions.
This Titans group isn’t any longer the most talented within the AFC, nonetheless this is in a position to seemingly well well also merely earn shut games with the toughness exhibited by its bell-cow wait on and its head coach.
2. Ryan Tannehill is changing into one of the official tales of the year within the NFL. He finished the longest pass of his eight-year occupation Sunday, a 91-yard landing to A.J. Brown, who shed an Oakland tackler and won the footrace to the tip zone. He finished with a passer rating of 140.4, came nine yards insecure of breaking 400 thru the air and threw three touchdowns. Tennessee is 8-5 and a official threat to each the leisure of the AFC South and the conference as an whole, and a ton of that credit is because of the Tannehill. I do know, I’m in a position to’t imagine it either.
3. The Raiders have one final game left in Oakland, and for a second-to-last contest within the Bay Dwelling, this one sure grew to alter into out to be disappointing. Derek Carr finished admirably, polishing off 25 of 34 passes for 263 yards and two touchdowns, nonetheless the Raiders sure did omit Josh Jacobs. DeAndre Washington and Jalen Richard tried to earn the void by carrying the ball 21 times for 81 yards and a landing, nonetheless this modified into a game finished thru the air — and sadly for these within the Shaded Hole and beyond, the Titans were better in that department.
Pin it on Oakland’s defense, or on untimely turnovers — a Darren Waller fumble returned by Jayon Brown for a landing in actuality iced the game — nonetheless whoever receives the blame, two things are definite: There could be one game left for the Silver and Shaded on the Oakland Coliseum, and the Raiders’ playoff odds proper got mighty slimmer.
— Chop Shook