Outplayed by a cat within the first half of, the Dallas Cowboys (5-3) overcame early miscues to defeat the division-rival New York Giants (2-7), 37-18, on “Monday Night Football.” That is what we learned from the final sport of Week 9:
1. For a long way of Monday evening’s slog within the swamp, the handiest thing that became once working in Kellen Moore’s offense became once Ezekiel Elliott. The Cowboys support outplayed his Mountainous Ten counterpart, Saquon Barkley, for quite a bit of of the evening, tallying 132 yards on 22 carries and picking up many of Dallas’ first downs. Nonetheless, the Cowboys put the game within the fingers of Dak Prescott (257 yards, 3 TDs, INT), more so than its extremely paid support, and the QB struggled to string together substantial completions. Unable to hit deep pictures to Amari Cooper and Michael Gallup, Prescott relied on a short passing sport to MNF alumnus Jason Witten and Randall Cobb, with 20 of the quarterback’s 22 completions touring lower than 10 yards previous the road of scrimmage. Moore’s assault that impressed many within the season’s first month to imagine the first-one year OC a wunderkind had lost all creativity. All that is to state the lasting image of Monday’s like, assorted than a shaded cat sprinting across the off-grey MetLife Stadium turf, became once Cooper doing so after Prescott hit the receiver on a crosser on a fourth-quarter third-and-12 from New York’s 45 and he took off for the cease zone to elongate Dallas’ tiring lead. In opposition to a bumbling Mountainous Blue facet, the Cowboys offense did no longer put forth its handiest effort, but it absolutely became once sufficient for a high-time like and to cease atop the NFC East.
2. New York became once too conservative on Monday evening for a crew with correct two wins beneath its belt and little to no shot of constructing the postseason. The Giants settled for self-discipline targets on four drives interior Dallas’s 11-yard-line, one in every quarter of the loss. New York opted to kick self-discipline targets on fourth downs with 3, 5, 5 and 10 yards to crawl. Though the distances away from a major down or score elevated on every occasion Giants coach Pat Shurmur waved the white flag, so did New York’s desperation as Dallas clawed support within the game after which pulled away. The Giants became the Cowboys’ two first-half of turnovers into correct six factors, handiest to present up two scoring drives (and the lead) within the half of’s final three minutes. Within the last two frames, Mountainous Blue lacked the urgency that a crew attempting to reclaim the lead and its season must maintain. Safe and sorry, the Giants deserve their cease. (And lest you clutch away from Monday’s sport that kicker Aldrick Rosas became once the hero for making four self-discipline targets, it became once his missed further point on Mountainous Blue’s handiest TD that kept New York at an melancholy deficit for most of Monday evening.)
3. Daniel Jones is a turnover machine. The second coming to Eli Manning has absorbed some of the signal-caller’s most unforgivable traits, basically giving the ball away with abandon. With one interception and two fumbles lost against Dallas, Jones (210 yards, TD, INT) has risen to the highest of the turnover charts with 16 on the season in correct seven starts. His handiest rivals within the class is Jameis Winston. The rookie is composed constructing his pocket awareness to that befitting of an NFL starter, but Jones’ recklessness with the ball and alongside with his physique will maintain to be referring to to parties. That became once the rub on the first-one year signal-caller within the preseason, and he has no longer improved in that division.
4. And now for this week’s edition of Passe Faces in New Areas. Leonard Williams’ first open on the blue facet of MetLife became once uneventful. The defensive lineman, most currently of the Jets, performed 41 of a most likely 65 defensive snaps for Mountainous Blue, recording three tackles and a QB hit but failing to originate a gigantic affect against Elliott and Dallas’ all-world offensive line. Though Williams became once arguably the Giants’ top crawl rusher on the evening, his barren stat line will study acquainted to Jets supporters.
On the assorted sideline, Michael Bennett, obtained by skill of alternate with New England, made his first look as a Cowboy and contributed felony away. Bennett performed 39 of a most likely 68 snaps, producing a sack and a sport-high four QB hits as an integral phase of a constant rotation alongside Dallas’ stacked line of defense. On Monday evening, no Cowboys defensive lineman performed more than 71 percent of snaps and composed Dallas logged five sacks and 11 QB hits of Jones. That kind of flexibility alongside the road will allow for recent legs and jumpy opposing quarterbacks later within the season.
5. “The sport has been suspended. Cat on the self-discipline,” it would study within the game book for hundreds of years to plan. The moment when the earth stood composed and mounted its imaginative and prescient to East Rutherford to face in fear of a frolicking tom cat dancing within the evening. Time stopped with correct beneath six minutes closing within the second quarter with the Giants driving up 9-3, seemingly with out a explanation. Soon it became once understood why: A shaded cat had wandered onto the self-discipline. For what felt worship two minutes, the cursed beast ran round safety aspect, avoiding pick and shooting the honor of a divided nation. Sooner or later, the cat, which basically based on a Giants crew reporter is one of many strays dwelling valid through the stadium, disappeared beneath a seating share, maybe by no formula to be seen again. After the spoil, or submit-cat, New York became once outscored 34-9, spirited some within the Dallas locker room to grab possession of the cat. The belated Halloween celebration became once potentially the most thrilling moment of Monday’s affair and one football purists and Purina procurists could per chance maybe moreover no longer quickly neglect.
6. Dallas’ victory keeps the ‘Boys a half of-sport sooner than Philadelphia (5-4) within the NFC East. With one leg up in a two-man trot, the Cowboys will be observing the scoreboard for the remainder of the season, hoping their rival Eagles stumbles. Neither did in Week 9. Subsequent up for every facet: Dallas hosts the 6-3 Vikings on Sunday evening, while the Eagles skills a bye before welcoming the fully rested and vengeful Patriots to metropolis in Week 11. In assorted news, the Giants are at the moment sixth within the 2020 draft affirm.