The Cleveland Browns (4-6) saved their playoff hopes alive in Thursday night’s 21-7 victory over the rival Pittsburgh Steelers (5-5). Right here’s what we discovered from the anxious affair:
1. As the lights dimmed upon a forgettable Thursday night mired by a horrendous final seconds, it was the grim image of Browns hotfoot rusher Myles Garrett swinging a helmet at Steelers quarterback Mason Rudolph that stood because the lasting image on an night that unfortunately acquired’t soon be forgotten. In the preceding 59 minutes and 52 seconds, however, a game played out.
Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield emerged having totaled three touchdowns. Nonetheless, the night belonged to a dominant effort from a Browns protection that overwhelmed a slipshod Steelers offense. It all added up to the Browns’ first victory over the Steelers since 2014 as Cleveland prevailed, 21-7. Led by a sterling effort from the aloof man Joe Schobert (personnel-high 10 tackles, two interceptions, one sack), the Browns tallied four takeaways, held the Steelers to 236 yards and owned the night for Cleveland. The victory stopped a four-game winning high-tail for Pittsburgh and ended an eight-game winless drought within the one-sided rivalry. Cleveland feasted upon a Steelers offense that was already manned by 2nd-stringer Rudolph and at closing lost its simplest receiver and runner. Grasping Williams, Juston Burris and Morgan Burnett, who left with an Achilles damage, were among the many many Browns defenders who stifled the Steelers from originate to horrid close. Accomplish no mistake, it was an horrid night and the Browns’ season-lengthy seek info from marks remain quandaries to be answered, but fleeting hope silent exists that that is no longer truly a wholly lost season. And that is the reason a result of the protection.
2. Since he was inquisitive regarding the first overall bewitch within the 2017 NFL Draft, Garrett has very powerful been lauded for no longer correct his play but his personality. In the moment shock of a helmet-wielding assault upon Rudolph, that all modified. For all intents and applications, the game was over and the play was over with eight seconds closing within the game. Rudolph was taken down by Garrett, who seemingly refused to accumulate off of Rudolph. Rudolph pulled at Garrett’s helmet and the defender retaliated by pulling off the quarterback’s helmet. As Garrett was being restrained, Rudolph lunged for his helmet and Garrett swung paunchy force with the helmet and linked atop Rudolph’s exposed head. Anarchy ensued thereafter with Garrett and teammate Larry Ogunjobi (who blindsided Rudolph within the scrum that adopted) disqualified along with Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey. Though the Browns’ play in actual fact wasn’t stellar all the procedure thru, this game was heading within the suitable path to be remembered as a mammoth Cleveland beget. But now, because the aftermath will proceed for days to attain, or no longer it’s laborious to imagine this could perhaps be one thing but a loss for the franchise going forward. And will more than likely be remembered as a melancholy night for all enthusiastic.
3. Upright when it regarded Odell Beckham had his lengthy-awaited 2nd touchdown take dangle of of his first Browns season, it was called wait on. And presumably better for the Browns, they were in a subject to originate Thursday night with a map-line touchdown as Baker Mayfield scored on a QB sneak thanks in gigantic fragment to a mighty shove from Sever Chubb. It gave the Browns a 7-0 lead on their first drive and an lend a hand they would per chance never relinquish. Upright a week prior, the Browns infamously had eight plays from the Bills 2-yard line or closer and got right here away with nothing but disappointment. This time spherical, Mayfield had the one-yard sneak and sealed the beget with a four-yard ranking on a ridiculously acrobatic spend from Stephen Carlson — the first of the rookie’s occupation. Mayfield flexed an beautiful arm on some throws and looked woeful on others. He carried out 17-of-32 passes for 193 yards and did ample for the Browns to carry again. For now, upright ample is upright ample.
4. Chubb began the game with a substantial push to accumulate Mayfield within the close zone and he concluded it because the first Brown to eclipse 1,000 yards rushing since Peyton Hillis in 2010. Chubb will more than likely be the first runner this yr to hurdle the barrier. A season within the past, he got right here an excruciating four yards haunted. By procedure of your complete tribulations of the Browns’ most contemporary season, Chubb has saved marching forward into the upper echelon of NFL working backs. On Thursday, he had 27 carries for 92 yards. And on the season, with six video games left to play, he has 1,011 yards.
5. In correct about each and each procedure that you must per chance imagine, this was a terrible game for Rudolph. It ended in memorably horrific vogue that can overshadow a extremely gruesome exhibiting. Four interceptions suggested the epic for the most fragment, as he was 23-for-44 for 221 yards, averaging correct 5 yards per try, with four sacks, a 36.3 ranking and one touchdown. That touchdown drive was provided by 63 yards of Browns penalties. It be no secret that the Steelers were winning with protection and that protection was rather spectacular in defeat, permitting correct 293 yards of offense to the Browns. In all likelihood that is a moment by which the personnel can rally spherical Rudolph. In correct about each and each procedure that you must per chance imagine, this terrible game for Rudolph confirmed powerful enchancment is most important if the Steelers can salvage the season.
6. Whereas the wins ceased for Pittsburgh on Thursday, the damage ills maintained. Rudolph, the personnel’s backup, is one amongst three quarterbacks to have started for the Steelers. Having already overlooked time with an injured shoulder, working wait on James Conner was lost within the first half of. No. 1 receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster soon adopted. Five Steelers in all were lost within the game (attributable to hurt). Now not up to 24 hours earlier, the Steelers were on a walk, paunchy of momentum. Stinging from defeat, the Steelers will now survey to transfer forward, but will most assuredly attain it with a limp.
7. Though this game will likely be eternally remembered for the inappropriate procedure it ended, it was troubling earlier than that. This was an worn-normal AFC North slugfest in a brand new-age NFL and it was at times grisly and could per chance absolute self belief be daunting intelligent forward. Six gamers (5 Steelers) were dominated out all the procedure thru the course of the competition. There were too many helmet-to-helmet hits, as a rule delivered by Browns defensive backs. Damarious Randall’s savage knock to Diontae Johnson was the near the game for both, the outdated attributable to an ejection and the latter attributable to a concussion as he walked off with wait on from trainers, a circulation of blood emerging from his ear. Smith-Schuster, a budding star synonymous with a smile, slumped forward on the ground within the first half of after a Williams hit that left the wideout akin to a fighter who correct bought slept within the ninth spherical. It be likely both groups will likely be left feeling this game for a whereas, with injuries and fines.