Goalkeeper Ben Foster became as soon as denied a nice headed equaliser in stoppage time as Chelsea held on for victory at Watford to transfer third within the Premier League.
In blustery cases, the guests opened the scoring after 5 minutes when Jorginho’s scrumptious breeze allowed Tammy Abraham to spend in his tenth aim of the season.
Foster made two amazing stops to forestall Frank Lampard’s aspect going further ahead sooner than the shatter as he denied both Christian Pulisic and Mason Mount.
Nonetheless he can also no longer forestall Pulisic following up his hat-trick towards Burnley final Saturday with one other aim because the American tucked in Abraham’s low tainted.
Watford, who remain backside of the Premier League and are restful attempting for his or her first league take of the season, had been handed a lifeline when Gerard Deulofeu tucked in a video assistant referee-awarded penalty, his first aim of the season.
And the hosts nearly equalised when Foster’s header deep in damage time became as soon as beautifully saved by Chelsea goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga, who sparked celebrations amongst his personnel-mates with the final motion of the match.
Nonetheless overall, Watford can also no longer match a superior Chelsea aspect who recorded a fifth successive away soak up the league, and a membership-document equalling seventh away victory in all competitions.
Lampard’s aspect can depart relief into fourth within the aid of Leicester, who face Crystal Palace on Sunday and contain a superior aim disagreement, but it became as soon as one other impressive step ahead for his younger aspect who are if truth be told two facets within the aid of 2nd-location Manchester Metropolis.
Chelsea repeat trend and substance in gritty take
Chelsea’s defeat by Manchester United within the Carabao Cup ended their seven-game winning bustle, but on the evidence of this game it has done little to dent their confidence.
With Abraham, Mount and Willian restored to the personnel, and Jorginho and Mateo Kovacic pulling the strings in midfield, Watford struggled to acquire defend of the ball within the early stages.
When the hosts lastly had a sustained length of possession after half of an hour, they are able to also had been three dreams down.
Abraham’s opener became as soon as a work of wonder from Jorginho, who’s now a fans’ popular after turning correct into a lightning rod for the frustration final season underneath Maurizio Sarri.
Nonetheless Chelsea’s top scorer can also contain had a 2nd as Foster also stopped Pulisic’s header and one way or the other tipped Mount’s shot onto the bar, also denying the midfielder all but again within the 2nd half of after a mercurial shatter.
Even supposing Chelsea done third final season, their away form most frequently faltered underneath Sarri. This season, alternatively, they’re showing metal, suggesting that a identical cease will almost definitely be doubtless no topic dropping Eden Hazard within the summertime and being within the midst of a two-window transfer ban.
Have eludes Watford all but again no topic sentimental penalty
Watford boss Quique Sanchez Flores said in his programme notes that he can “feel” his personnel getting closer to their first Premier League take of the season following three successive attracts.
Constructing in 5-3-2 system, they had to personal Chelsea for the main half of hour, because the guests threatened to position the sport out of note.
Nonetheless following Foster’s heroics, they grew into the sport as half of-time approached, giving their shivering fans something to heat to.
Deulofeu’s fizzing effort became as soon as the closest they came sooner than the shatter and Kurt Zouma needed to be involving to dam Andre Grey’s early 2nd-half of shot.
As soon as Pulisic scored his fourth of the season, the sport perceived to contain petered out and but there became as soon as restful time for VAR to intervene with 10 minutes closing.
Having been on the unpleasant stay of two VAR selections towards Tottenham final month, Watford isn’t any longer going to contain minded that the penalty award seemed refined.
Jorginho seemed as if it will possibly maybe presumably outing Deulofeu but the contact seemed minimal, with referee Anthony Taylor deciding towards the role-kick.
The VAR blueprint in a different way, and even supposing Watford pressed for an equaliser with Arrizabalaga saving from Foster’s header in damage time, Chelsea fans had been in a location serenade “Gigantic Frankie Lampard” as soon as all but again on the boulevard.
Man of the match – Jorginho (Chelsea)
‘If I rating at the stay that is me retiring’ – response
Watford goalkeeper Ben Foster, speaking to Match of the Day:“If I rating at the stay that is me retiring. Very finest-attempting play to Kepa – that became as soon as some attach.
“Chelsea are a if truth be told factual personnel with a great deal of factual energetic gamers, it is some distance factual for them and for England. Nonetheless we can defend our head up high for hanging on till the stay. We are in a position to also contain nicked something.”
Watford manager Quique Sanchez Flores:“In the final minute Kepa had to enact an wonderful attach, we’re combating towards very factual teams but our belief of soccer stays the identical.
“The match became as soon as very troublesome but we had a chance to blueprint it. As soon as we’re positive on the pitch we’re a factual personnel and we can compete thoroughly.
“I belief the gamers we now contain got, some are coming relief from accidents and others are drained, but compatible now it is some distance set trip and managing our subsequent challenges.
“We contain positives, we’re in a location to enact factual things but this does no longer happen for a burly match.
“It’s troublesome for the gamers but we now contain got to breeze for the positive moments and form them more.”
Hornets obtain the Blues all but again – stats
- Chelsea contain won seven consecutive away video games in all competitions – their joint-longest winning bustle on the boulevard within the membership’s history (also seven between February-April 1989 underneath used boss Bobby Campbell).
- Watford contain didn’t take any of their opening 11 video games to a league season for the main time in their history (D5 L6). They’re the main personnel to enact so within the Premier League since QPR in 2012-13.
- Chelsea contain won consecutive away video games towards Watford for the very first time within the tip-flight of English soccer, having also won this real fixture final season (1-2).
- Abraham has scored seven dreams in his six away appearances within the league this season – only Kevin Phillips in 1999-00 (Sunderland) and Manchester Metropolis duo Edin Dzeko in 2011-12 and Sergio Aguero in 2016-17 (all eight) contain scored more in their opening six away video games of a Premier League season.
- Pulisic has been at as soon as focused on 9 dreams for Chelsea in all competitions this season (four dreams, 5 assists); only Abraham has been focused on additional (12) – while eight of those 9 aim involvements contain come some distance from Stamford Bridge, including all four dreams.
- Jorginho has been at as soon as focused on three dreams in his 11 Premier League video games this season (one aim, two assists), already more than he managed in his 37 such appearances final season (two dreams, no assists).
- Deulofeu has scored his first aim from his twenty sixth shot within the Premier League this season – his shot conversion rate of 3.8% is the joint-lowest of gamers to rating within the competition in 2019-20 (along with Arsenal’s Nicolas Pepe, also 1/26).
Chelsea host Ajax within the Champions League on Tuesday (20:00 GMT) and are relief at Stamford Bridge on Saturday (12:30) for his or her match towards Crystal Palace. The Hornets are at Norwich subsequent Friday (20:00).