Derby recovered from a two-goal deficit to edge previous Southampton 5-three on penalties in an exhilarating FA Cup Zero.33-round replay at St Mary’s.
Two targets in two minutes from Stuart Armstrong and Nathan Redmond had effect the hosts heading within the appropriate route for victory, after the company had earlier had a Craig Bryson goal disallowed by VAR.
But Harry Wilson’s free-kick sparked a revival before Martyn Waghorn headed a dreary equaliser for Frank Lampard’s side.
Redmond overlooked within the shootout for Southampton, allowing Rams captain Richard Keogh to strike the a success penalty.
Derby stagger to League One Accrington within the fourth round on Saturday, 26 January (12:30 GMT).
Inseparable after 210 minutes
For the 2d successive assembly Derby displayed resilience to enhance after falling two targets within the abet of to Southampton, leaving the perimeters inseparable after 210 minutes of football.
In a sport beefy of incident, it gave the affect the company had drawn first blood when Bryson produced a peaceful left-footed develop previous Saint goalkeeper Angus Gunn within the first duration.
But after a wait of two minutes, VAR judged forward Waghorn to be marginally offside before he performed within the midfielder.
The introduction of Redmond helped Saints up the tempo after the fracture and so they regarded to rating effect the tie to mattress with two targets in two minutes.
First Armstrong nodded in from shut range to enact an even transfer though-provoking Mohamed Elyounoussi and Shane Prolonged. Jack Stephens then launched Redmond who delivered a deft chip over Rams goalkeeper Kelle Roos.
Derby arrived on the south hover having misplaced eight of their previous nine FA Cup video games at Premier League opponents, nonetheless that statistic became clearly no longer on the gamers’ minds as they surged forward to drive a free-kick that Wilson curled home previous Gunn – nonetheless handiest after more anxious moments following a VAR review.
And the combating company pulled stage when Waghorn came across the tip nook with a properly-placed header, forcing a goalless duration of beyond regular time before the a success shootout in opposition to closing season’s semi-finalists.
Derby’s gamers showed enormous composure to convert all 5 of their penalties, with Southampton’s handiest failure from 12 yards coming from the otherwise impressive Redmond, who despatched an grotesque effort broad of the tag.
‘Or no longer it is the FA Cup, it be magical’ – what they talked about
Southampton manager Ralph Hasenhuttl talking to BBC Sport: “Congratulations to Derby County. Once they fight esteem they did within the 2 video games, they need to battle via to the next round.
“We did not need to remove. We had a number of probabilities and did not glean the goal. We given the lead away two instances so it became very disappointing. It became very traumatic. We weren’t very appropriate within the first 1/2 so made adjustments to the system at 1/2-time. 2d 1/2 we had been severely higher and performed properly for the 2 targets.
“But they got a goal from a explain-piece and also probabilities are you’ll also genuinely feel all americans inquisitive in regards to the first sport and getting a bit of apprehensive. The opponent became within the trusty effect to ranking a 2d time, and all aspects had less energy in beyond regular time. We peaceful had probabilities to remove it nonetheless did not lift them.”
Derby manager Frank Lampard on BBC One: “I’m contented for the team and the squad. The workrate they effect in there, having to realize abet via VAR going in opposition to us in genuinely runt margins, they labored so onerous and so they had been enormous penalties at the stop and huge courage from the boys.
“Now we rating had two video games in opposition to Southampton and a fancy patch within the league, playing some genuinely appropriate groups, so the boys had been working so onerous. It takes loads to realize abet abet in opposition to Premier League opposition and demonstrate the fight and the bravery on the ball. I conception we had been prominent via the sport. A few of the football within the first 1/2 became perfect.
“Or no longer it is a fancy turnaround for the weekend and Accrington within the next round – it be the FA Cup, it be magical, leer at the followers who rating travelled. A mammoth thanks to the followers. They are able to glean abet to Derby at no topic time and so they’re perhaps working tomorrow too so a mammoth ensuing from of them ensuing from they helped us glean over the road.”
Wilson’s free-kick threat – the stats
- Southampton had been eliminated from the Zero.33 round of the FA Cup by a side from a decrease division than themselves for the first time since 2001-02 when Rotherham United beat them 2-1.
- Derby County rating now stepped forward from all three of their penalty shootouts within the FA Cup, all coming in Zero.33 round replays (additionally in opposition to Sheffield Wednesday in 2007-08 and Millwall in 2009-10).
- Nathan Redmond has been straight serious about seven targets in his nine video games below Ralph Hasenhuttl for Southampton in all competitions (5 targets, two assists), as many as his closing sixty three appearances for the Saints blended before the Austrian’s arrival.
- There had been appropriate 136 seconds between Stuart Armstrong opening the scoring and Nathan Redmond doubling Southampton’s lead in opposition to Derby.
- Derby County’s Harry Wilson has scored eight targets from exterior the sphere in all competitions this season, in spite of all the issues twice as many as any diverse participant within the tip four tiers of English football in 2018-19. Five of those eight had been from instruct free-kicks.
- Harry Wilson has had a hand in 14 targets across all competitions for Derby this season (eleven targets, three assists), more than any of his team-mates.