The Chicago Bears (6-6) overcame a unhurried begin on fast rest and came roaring support to beat the Detroit Lions (3-8-1). Here’s what we learned from the Bears’ 24-20 victory on Thanksgiving Day:
1. It wasn’t a fantastically cooked Thanksgiving meal for the Bears, however Mitchell Trubisky led two second-half scoring drives to burn the Lions. Trubisky feasted on fast throws loads of the game, appealing to verify down in opposition to a protection bored to loss of life in bringing stress, dicing up Detroit for a season-excessive 338 yards on 29-of-38 passing — his first time over the 300-yard ticket on the season. Trubisky saved his excellent throws for the game-successful power, tossing dimes to Anthony Miller downfield on support-to-support third-and-5s that went for 35 and 32 yards, respectively. Trubisky overcame a lackluster first half and an awful throw behind Allen Robinson that Darius Damage intercepted to open the third quarter. Matt Nagy would possibly be cheerful with how his QB bounced support. Thursday’s tilt epitomized the enigma of Trubisky. To shut the fundamental half, he confoundingly ran searching the stick when he’ll personal picked up a fundamental down leading to a field operate. The QB once but again sailed several passes to open receivers. But, later, he made several image-most attention-grabbing tosses deep. It would possibly per chance maybe no longer dart down as a sexy steal in opposition to a crew starting its third string, however Nagy’s squad will gladly spend the vacation victory.
2. Undrafted rookie quarterback David Blough wowed out of the gate, dive-bombing the Bears to present the Lions a 14-7 first-quarter lead. Playing rather then an injured Jeff Driskel, who became once playing rather then an injured Matthew Stafford, the fundamental completion of the third-stringer’s profession went for a 75-yard TD **** to Kenny Golladay. Blough confirmed a willingness to push the ball downfield and surprisingly good pocket motion for a rookie, throwing for 280 yards, two TDs and one interception that came on a late desperation heave. After engineering touchdowns on the two opening drives, the Lions offense screeched to a discontinuance, with four three-and-outs on its next five possessions, no longer counting the tip of the half. Predictably for a quarterback who never took an NFL snap sooner than Thanksgiving and did now not accumulate plump practice reps on a fast week, there had been some inconsistencies from Blough, who tended to throw low on several passes. Penalties and neglected opportunities sunk the Lions bigger than the rookie QB, alternatively. Given the instances, Blough fared better than somebody will personal anticipated.
3. Anthony Miller deserves whatever portion of turkey he needs. The Bears receiver typically torched Lions slot nook Justin Coleman, going for a profession-excessive 140 yards on 9 catches. Six of Miller’s receptions went for first downs, many coming in a mountainous second half in which he compiled 110 yards. Allen Robinson also ate properly for Chicago, snagging eight passes for 86 yards and a TD, and in most cases finding spot for chain-transferring catches. Tight cease Jesper Horsted had maybe the prettiest steal for the Bears, corralling an arching Trubisky throw in the third quarter for a touchdown. The Bears’ dart-catching targets proved they would possibly per chance maybe accumulate open versus man coverage and fabricate performs when Trubisky offers them of endeavor.
4. Matt Patricia’s protection once but again faltered when its offense, led by an undrafted rookie, made ample performs to tug out a steal. The Lions elected to bring zero stress on Trubisky time after time, giving the struggling quarterback plenty of time to survey the field. The shortcoming of stress once but again forced defensive backs to duvet some distance too lengthy. Patricia can even should always reply questions about why he elected now to now not throw a downside flag on Miller’s second lengthy reception that characteristic up the game-successful receive. The Bears receiver looked as if it would bobble the ball and would possibly per chance want been out of bounds earlier than winding up the steal, which would personal produced a fourth down for Chicago. Even after a Bears lengthen of game, Patricia elected now to now not even roll the dice to sign if the critical name would possibly be overturned.
5. A halftime efficiency from Brothers Osborne that suffered just a few mishaps became once a metaphor for Thursday’s game in Detroit and the season for both teams. Nagy’s squad moved to 6-6 on the year, however did so with several boneheaded errors, including just a few late substitutions, a penalty out of a timeout and 10 total flags on the day. Even with the steal, Chicago will likely should always steal out in opposition to a tough slate (Cowboys, Packers, Chiefs and Vikings) and accumulate a ton of support to personal a prayer on the postseason. Losing a double-digit lead on Thanksgiving would possibly per chance no longer support Patricia’s warming seat in Detroit as the Lions fell to three-8-1, dropping five straight and eight of its final 9.